About Sir Thomas White's Northampton Charity
Sir Thomas White's Northampton Charity uses money given by Sir Thomas White to provide loans and grants to young people living in Northampton.
The original bequest was made to Coventry in 1542 but later included Northampton, Leicester, Nottingham, Warwick and the Merchant Taylors of London.
The money provided to Northampton used to
be administered by the Mayor and Corporation of Northampton but following the Municipal
Reform Act of 1835 an independent body of Trustees was set up and remains in
The first distribution of funds was £70 in 1567 but the income has now reached well over £1 million and there is a Distribution meeting held each year to allocate funds.
Coventry is the main beneficiary from the fund and gets 37/70th of the proceeds whilst the other four towns each receive 8/70th and the Merchant Taylors 1/70th.
It is believed that the first loan to a Northampton man was made in 1609.